Our International Baccalaureate Program
El Sereno Middle School has been an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School since 2012!
We offer years 1-3 of the Middle Years Program and are part of the only complete IB feeder family pattern in LAUSD that starts with the Primary Years Program (PYP) at Farmdale Elementary next door, and ends with MYP 4-5 and the Diploma Program (DP) up at Woodrow Wilson Senior High School (WHS).
Students at International Baccalaureate® (IB) World Schools are given a unique education. They will:
- be encouraged to think independently and drive their own learning
- take part in programmes of education that can lead them to some of the highest ranking universities around the world
- become more culturally aware, through the development of a second language
- be able to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
International Baccalaureate® (IB) Mission Statement:
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through inter-cultural understanding and respect.
- IB programs are recognized around the world and ensure an increased adaptability and mobility for IB students.
- The curriculum and pedagogy of IB programs focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching, while insisting that students fully explore their home culture and language.
- IB World Schools must undergo an exhaustive authorization process in order to offer one or more of the programs, which includes a study of the school’s resources and commitment to the IB mission and philosophy.
- IB teachers participate in a wide variety of professional development opportunities to constantly update their knowledge and share their expertise with colleagues around the world.
- Students graduating from the Diploma Program find that it enhances their opportunities at tertiary institutions. The IB works closely with universities around the world to gain recognition for IB programs.
- The core components of IB programs encourage students to participate in creative and service-oriented activities, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of reflection on a personal and academic level.
ESMS and WHS Shared Mission Statement:
“The Mission of El Sereno Middle School and Woodrow Wilson High School is to empower all students with the skills and knowledge to become compassionate, inquisitive, principled young people who create a more peaceful world through global awareness, critical thinking, and a commitment to action and service.”